Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

The Wishing Star | An Original Poem

We read about it in one of your beginner books. You 
want to wish on a star and on a whim I rush us
out to the porch. Quick! I say, it's cold and you're in a nightgown.


So we squeeze our eyes shut and you wish to be
an artist and I to write a book. Then we lie in the dark, faces
huddled together like girls at a slumber party.


To be a real artist, you explain, means you have the fancy
hat and a messy apron. Can we buy these 
tomorrow so your wish will come true?


Then I tell you that once upon a time I wished on a star. You 
think about this. Did it come true?
Yes, I answer, touching your nose.


You stare for a long moment, your three-year-old eyes
holding mine, for the first time full
of understanding.




1 comment:

Genia Harrison said...

Emily, I can't think of an adequate compliment for this poem except to say it touched my heart. I am fascinated by creative and expressive writing related to family life, and am amazed at the gift you have in sharing about life and family through the written word. In case you're wondering, I "found" this through your Mom's post on Facebook. Think I'm going to start "following" your blog posts! I'm a fan! :)

Best wishes as you continue writing!
Genia Brown Harrison