Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

(Book Review) Georgia Bottoms by Mark Childress

I've been meaning to read Mark Childress for a long time now, because he's from Alabama and I think it's important to support not only my state writers, but Southern writers, in general.

I'll admit, I didn't expect much when I went into this -- I'm not sure why exactly. I think part of it's that this book is about a woman, and I'm always suspect to whether men can really write a good female character. To those of you who just cried, "Sexist!" don't worry: I often find that women have a hard time writing men realistically, as well.

But to get down to it, I truly enjoyed this one. Four out of five stars, in fact. The book spans a four- or five-year period, covering Georgia's mid-thirties, and the shenanigans in which she finds herself. Oddly enough, it's the second book I've read this week covering a wide timeframe. Is this a new trend? Interesting...

I feel it my duty to warn readers that Ms. Bottoms engages in one of the oldest, rather risque professions, yet with a unique twist. There's minimal foul language, but still enough to shock those that get easily offended. The book is overflowing with small-town eccentricities, most of which are out-of-date yet still recognizable to those who live in small Southern towns. Childress hints at a few major issues without stating them outright, which I enjoyed. He incorporates a major event which we've all experienced. And thankfully, many of the scenes are downright hilarious.

Back to my beginning point. I'm pretty sure Georgia Bottoms isn't a realistic female character, but it doesn't matter. She's a lovable character, in a Scarlet O'Hara kind of way. She's definitely not perfect, but convinced she is -- and the true beauty is that the reader can't help but understand her reasoning. You find yourself rooting for her, but occasionally stopping yourself, in awe that you're doing so.

Georgia Bottoms is a page-turner, and I look forward to reading other books by Childress in the near future.
* * * 

If you're read Georgia Bottoms, leave a comment about your thoughts!


3 comments:

Bone Belle said...

I really liked Crazy in Alabama (which they later made into a so-so movie) so I may need to add this one to my 'to read' list.

The Education of Emily said...

I think it's the one I'm picking up next. Never seen the movie; wasn't Melanie Griffith in it?

Bone Belle said...

yes and a few other good actors. I actually own it and the book but I am no longer within borrowing distance or I'd lend them to you.

There was also a book put out when I was in college by a woman from Tuscaloosa called Eating the Cheshire Cat by Helen Ellis. If you haven't read it, you might try it.

Her books written after that are a completely different genre but that one is along the same lines as Childress and Jackson.