Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Dream Journaling: I Got Exactly What I Asked For

I’m currently reading Sue Monk Kidd, who keeps a dream journal. In fact, it seems she keeps a journal at all hours of the day, but I’m particularly fascinated with her dream journal. Which is why I decided to try it out.


I have an unusual method. Since I wake up in the middle of the night to pee (yes, I’m just putting that out there; I’ve got a tiny bladder; what of it?) I’ve put a notepad and pen on the little table in my bathroom. I get up, go, jot down what I’ve dreamed so far, and go right back to bed. Repeat same process in the morning.

I haven’t researched any of the symbolism involved in dreams or any of that. I’m not saying I don’t believe in it -- it’s just not necessarily what I’m after. In fact, I didn’t know if I’d even find anything worthwhile in the jumble of my head.

So imagine my surprise when I began to see a pattern within the first week. One of those obvious, “wow, I should’ve recognized this before.” It’s more than a little disconcerting to realize something I’ve been avoiding outright is simmering around in my subconscious. Yes, I’ve known it was there, dammit, but I’d adopted Scarlett’s, “I can’t think about that now. I’ll think about it tomorrow,” mantra. It was working. So I thought.

Yet now it’s on paper; it’s official. Bollocks.

I know I shouldn’t complain. I got exactly what I asked for. And I plan to see -- or journal -- my way through it.

I’m wondering if anyone out there has experienced something similar -- with journaling, with dreams, or even middle-of-the-night bathroom visits. I’d love to hear your thoughts.



No comments: