Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

(Music Review) Break Me Out by The Rescues

I've been in love with The Rescues since my husband discovered them this past spring. He bought the cd at Best Buy, forced me to listen to this song, and I was hooked. I must've listened to the cd at least a dozen times in the next week; over and over as I drove the 26 minutes to school in the mornings and the 26 minutes home in the afternoons.

The album is terrific. The group consists of two men, two women, and their harmonies remind me of youth choir -- which made my husband groan when I described it in those terms. They've got a pop-music feel -- which made my brother groan and say, "that's not my type of music."

But I love them. And I particularly love "Break Me Out."
Break me out tonight
I wanna see the sun rising anywhere but here
I have a particular friend who adores our small town, and I know there are plenty who agree with her.  It's not that I dislike this town, the place I was raised, my mother was raised, her mother was raised. I've just never truly belonged here. My political views are different than most; my religious views are different than most; my entire way of life is different than most.

I'm okay with the heat -- with the stares and whispers that follow me. I'm pre on my Facebook page, so it's not as if all 600+ "friends" don't know my beliefs. I understand more than half have probably hidden me from their News Feed, and I'm okay with that.

However --

I have a daughter now. I have to deal with the probability -- a high probability -- that she'll be ostracized as she grows older. With that, I'm not okay. Yet I refuse to raise her any differently.

So at one time, back as a senior in high school, I would've sang this song with the urgency to get myself out. In fact, I did get out and realized that living in a metropolitan city was entirely different from a small town. Notice that I said "different."  Not "better." Simply better for my family and me.
The walls are caving in with no warning
This ship is sinking, I gotta swim for it
I'm running out of air
I feel overwhelmed here. My husband feels overwhelmed here. I don't want my daughter to feel the same in a few years. I'm not singing "Break Me Out." I'm singing "Break Us Out."
Picture myself
Running like hell
Making my getaway
And surely you can understand.  That's what makes this song incredible. Maybe you don't dream about leaving your hometown, but at one point or another we all want to escape: maybe a job, a marriage, or sometimes, life in general.
Lose this crowd
Oh, break me out





No comments: