Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Since When Do We Talk in the Library?

My daughter started school on Monday, and since I have two weeks of freedom and her school is located just blocks from the public library, I've been spending more time writing here. That's right -- I'm in the library writing this post.

And I'm irritated. Because everyday, the same two old men sit next to me and talk.

It's usually politics. They argue Obama vs. Romney, social security, Israel, the prophecies of Revelations, gambling in Alabama, and on and on and on. At a level where my headphones can't block what they're saying. That's darn loud. Sometimes they stray over to topics such as Alabama vs. Auburn, online poker, or the best gym in town. The thing is, they pleasantly argue about everything. It seems as soon as one takes a side, the other is obligated to take the other. So not only are they interrupting my thoughts, but this back and forth means I always disagree with one of 'em, which makes concentrating even harder! 

Earlier a man walked in to return his books. His cell phone rang and he answered, bellowing out his business for all to hear.  He repeated a phone number for the caller three times. THREE TIMES! And all this happens within the first 15 minutes of opening. 

It's unbelievably frustrating. I've tried different tables, different sections of the library, but it's all the same. At least I have the courtesy to turn my cell to vibrate, whisper if I answer. Usually I try to walk out to the patio, although I've started to wonder why I make the effort. It seems the lesson ingrained in my head from my school librarians Ms. Patterson, Ms. Russell, and Ms. Hill no longer apply.  It's a kickin' good time for everyone here.

Since when do we talk in the library? And is this happening everywhere, or do I just have the good luck of sitting in the one library that doesn't follow the cardinal rule: "SSSHHHHH!"



2 comments:

Bone Belle said...

oh, boy... So in my time as a public librarian, the library has actually become a "Third Place". It is more of a community center and family-centered business. It is no longer about books and reading.

If you want a quiet library with study carrels, then you need to find an academic library with a "quiet floor". Even they have gone the way of coffee shop on the first floors.

And sadly, if a librarian goes "shhh" anymore, she's being rude and condescending to the patrons.

The Education of Emily said...

Funny you mention the coffee shop, because my school has one in the lobby now, too!

Yes, I like the academic library's quiet floor -- but there's been several times I've had someone's loud cell phone conversation interrupt me. It seems that no one monitors the floor, and sadly, some people have no common courtesy.